Birth of Pro Kabaddi League
The pro kabaddi league, alternatively known as the professional kabaddi league started its operation in the year of 2014. Due to a pandemic, season 8 was cancelled in the year 2020. The idea of the league came from the popularity of the Asian Games kabaddi match in the year 2006.
Detailed rules of Pro Kabaddi League:
- Technical rules: During the knockout matches or semi-final or final, every team will receive one unsuccessful referral for challenging tags. The umpire will make the final decision after the televised replays. Every team has the right to consult with one in-play coach in each half. The time duration of the consultation is 20 seconds or until the finish of the raid whichever completes first.
- Raid rules: An empty raid is when the raider returns to his court without earning any points. A raid is valid when the raider surpasses the baulk line with at least one foot and then another foot is in the air. The raider has to chant “kabaddi kabaddi” before entering the opponent’s court and has to come back to his court with this utterance. The antis can hold the raider only by grabbing his limbs. The sports authority inspects the matter closely. If the players go out from his court, his team loses a point.
This league follows the format of the Indian Premier League. Like the IPL, the Pro Kabaddi league arranged the auction.
Some words about PKL Auction
The player of the league has been divided into 5 categories. These are A, B, C, D, and new young players. The base price of players of A, B, C, D are Rs 20 lakhs, Rs 12 lakhs, Rs 8 lakhs, and Rs 5 lakhs respectively. But the fixed price of new young players is 6.6 lakhs. Out of the 12 teams, nine teams have used the option to keep their star performers. Jaipur pink panthers, U-Mumba, UP joddha selected to not keep any players from the previous season. These teams will do the auction for building a new squad.
But the Patna Pirates and Puneri Paltans kept 4 players from their last season and that is permitted by the franchise. The purse balance of each carries Rs. 4 crore and the squad size lies between 18 and 25 and three players from Future kabaddi heroes program and there are two or four number players who are overseas players. The final bid match is newly included in the season’s pro kabaddi league auction. It permits keeping two players by listing the final bid done by other franchises for the player.
Pro Kabaddi League Auction 2019 (season 7)
The auction of season 7 was conducted in July and had been continued for October. There were 173 domestic players and 27 international players who participated in this auction. The auction was held in Mumbai. The total allocated money for the auction was Rs 50 crore which was spent on buying 200 domestic and international players for two days’ auction. There were two players named Nitin Tomar and Siddharth Desai from category A who were sold for over Rs 1crore.
Pro Kabaddi League Auction 2021 (season 8)
The PKL auction 2021 season 8 is going to begin in July. The date of the auction had already been declared. It took place in Mumbai, in April. 422 players are going to take part in this season 8 auction pool. Among them, 87 players are from the Future Kabaddi Heroes program, 58 are from overseas players. Pawan Kumar is going to join Puneri paltan at Rs 35 lakhs, Nilesh Salunke joins Pink panthers at Rs 23.5 lakh, Deepak Narwal joins Jaipur pink panthers at Rs 30.5 lakh, Vishal Mane joins to Dabang Delhi for Rs. 28.5 lakh.
Teams of the Pro Kabaddi League
There are 12 teams participating in the league also known as PKL and Professional Kabaddi League:
- Bengal warriors are from Kolkata,
- Bengaluru bulls from Bengaluru,
- Dabang Delhi sc from Delhi,
- Gujarat fortune glance from Ahmedabad,
- Haryana steelers from Sonipat,
- Jaipur pink panthers from Jaipur,
- Patna pirates from Patna,
- Puneri Paltans from Pune,
- U Mumbai from Mumbai,
- UP Yoddha from Lucknow,
- Tamil Thalaivas from Tamilnadu,
- Telugu Titans from Hyderabad.
Vivo is the title sponsor of the league and Dreams 11, Honda, and Ultra-tech became the associate partner of the Pro Kabaddi League.
The Winner’s list of the Pro Kabaddi League Team
Patna pirates became the winner of this league 3 times and the Jaipur pink panthers, U-Mumba, Bengaluru bulls, and Bengal Warriors won once in the pro kabaddi league match. In 2019 Bengal Warriors became the champion. Pawan Kumar Sherawat from Bengaluru bulls became the all-time top raiders in the tournament. Deepak Niwas Hooda became the top all-rounder in the league. Fazel Atrachali became the top defender.
- Green sleeve: The top raider is selected based on the score in every match.
- Saffron Sleeve: The top defender is selected based on the score earned by every match.
The Prize Money of the Pro Kabaddi League
The prize money of the champion of season 6 was 3 crore rupees. The first runner-up and second runner-up won 1.83 crores and 1. 2 crores. The accumulated prize of this season 7 was eight crores. The winner of season 7 won 3 crores and the runners-up won 1.8 crores. The semifinalists lost the match, winning each of the teams 90 lakh.